Starcraft 2 Dark Templar Rush
One of the easiest ways for Protoss to win games is via a Starcraft 2
Dark Templar rush (also known as a DT rush).
Dark Templar are a Protoss ground unit that is permanently cloaked. Players will have to get detectors to be
able to see and attack the Dark Templar.
The idea behind the Starcraft 2 Dark Templar rush is to tech very quickly to Dark Templars before the enemy gets
detection, thereby crippling him and possibly even finishing him off before he gets detection.
Here is how to pull it off:
1. Build 9 Probes. Scout at this point to make sure they aren't pulling off an early rush.
Click Here for Shokz #1 Starcraft 2 Strategy
2. Build your first pylon (location depends on enemy race and map). Against Terran players, I like to build my
first pylon in pretty tight, and versus Zerg or Protoss players I will build it near the entrance to my base.
A tight "Sim City" build is good versus Reaper harassment, where a miniature wall helps prevent Zerglings and
Zealots from rushing in your base.
3. Your first Probe should be sent out to scout after laying down your first Pylon.
4. Build up to 12/19 probes.
5. Build your first Gateway.
6. With the scouting Probe, I will try to secretly place a Pylon down in the enemy's base out of his sight.
Getting this Pylon down in a hidden location is crucial. Do not allow the other player to see you do
7. Continue to Chrono Boost out probes. Build Assimilators at some point in this time frame.
8. As soon as your first Gateway comes out, build a Cybernetics Core. Research Warp Gate technology as soon as
9. At this point, you might want to scout for a second time. If your opponent appears ready to attack, get two
more Gateways. If you have time, build a Twilight Council and then get a second Gateway.
10. What you do here depends on the map and the opponent's race. If they are Protoss, I like to rush straight
for a Dark Shrine (unless they have a cannon right by their entrance).
11. For Terran players, if they have not expanded I will build a Robotics Facility to get a Warp Prism. I then
will move the Warp Prism into their base and put it in Phasing Mode. You can then warp Dark Templar directly behind
12. Get a Dark Shrine if you haven't at this point.
13. When you place down your Dark Shrine, send your probe out to near their base and build a pylon (only do this
if your first Pylon was unsuccessful).
14. There are some maps that when you place a pylon outside the base, you can build units INSIDE the base. These
are maps with destructible barriers leading to a second entrance in the base. Getting an Observer can support this
15. Upgrade your 2-3 Gateways to Warp Gates and then warp Dark Templar right next to (or inside) your opponent's
base. What you do next depends on what the opponent is up to.
How you use your Dark Templars in particular will change on a race by race basis.
Starcraft 2 Dark Templar Rush Strategy
Dark Templar vs Protoss (no detectors):
If you are playing against Protoss players and are quick about it, you will often find that the Protoss player
has no detection, particularly in the lower leagues. The faster your Starcraft 2 Dark Templar rush, the better off
you will be when it comes to beating other players!
This also holds true if you wall your base properly with a Pylon and Gateway near the entrance and stick a
Zealot in the exit. If they can't get in your base to scout, they don't know you are rushing to Dark Templar!
If you stumble upon a Protoss with no detection, this should be the end of the game. Keep an eye out for any
probes that might be trying to build cannons, or any robotics facilities that might be available.
Click Here for Shokz #1 Starcraft 2 Strategy
If you see a Robotics Facility producing Observers, kill the pylons quickly (Dark Templar kill pylons very
quickly, the Robotics Facility will take awhile).
Use one Templar to start taking out key buildings. Start with the Nexus(es) and Probes then move onto other
buildings. Use the other Dark Templar(s) to keep an eye on the enemy's base and kill detectors as they pop up
(cannons, more pylons, another robotics facility).
Meanwhile, warp in more Dark Templars to go in and finish the job. It bears repeating that if your Starcraft 2
Dark Templar rush is fast, you will find this strategy extremely effective.
If you have little units at your base, often the other Protoss player will send in all his units to attack your
base. Protect yourself from losing the "base race" by building a Dark Templar at your base.
Build tons of cannons and Stalkers if he has air. If you kill off all his probes, even if the opponent races
down your main buildings and units with air, he will have to kill the cannons to win (not going to happen). Your
DTs will finish off job shortly and the game will end.
DT vs Protoss (with detection):
If you determine that your opponent has Observers, a Warp Prism to warp in Dark Templar is preferred. Place a
Warp Prism in the corner of the person's base. Build 4-6 Dark Templar and then rush down the Nexus. You can usually
kill it before he will be able to respond.
You can also split the defense by sending in 3 DTs at the main base and then warp 3 into an expansion. Most
players only have 1 Observer on defense (especially if you are fast), so you will be able to inflict major damage
before being caught.
With that said, I prefer not to use the Starcraft 2 Dark Templar rush when I know the enemy has Observers. I may
use Dark Templar to harass, but I won't rush for a technique that won't be fatal. I will simply use them to harass
expansions as the game goes on.
In the next section of this article, I will cover how to effectively use Dark Templar versus Terran and Protoss
This is part 1 of a 2-part article. Visit the Starcraft 2 DT Rush section to see how to perform a Starcraft 2 Dark Templar rush versus Terran and Zerg
Are you still struggling to get into the Diamond
If you answer the above question with a yes, then I urge you to pick up the
Shokz Starcraft 2 Mastery Guide.
This routinely updated advanced guide contains
strategies for ALL the races, an advanced 1v1 guide, a 2v2 guide with powerful strategies for
Terran, Zerg, and Protoss players that will have your opponents begging for mercy. Click here to get it now!